Saturday, June 18, 2016

1530's Inspired Embroidery, Linlithgow Peryton



Linlithgow Fountain Peryton
 (From Pinterest)
This project was inspired by the photo above, a Peryton that is part of the Linlithgow Palace King's Fountain in Scotland.

This was inspiring first because it's a mythical critter- of which I have fondness for in all their shapes and species. A Peryton is a mythological winged deer, and I believe it's supposed to eat people. Honestly ignoring the meat-eater part I just loved the look of it. It looks soft and noble with the crown and in an alternative view of the image you can see a shield.

Secondly the deer species that this Peryton is based on is a Scottish Roe Deer. These are a small species of deer that look adorable and have odd moustache-like markings on their snout. Basically adorable.
Roe Stag in Heather
Source
Thirdly this fountain was commissioned by Mary Queen of Scots' father King James V. This is my preferred time period and country for my SCA persona. Approximately 1530s around the Hebrides and Highlands of Scotland. So this to me was proof enough that they used this type of decoration during the time period.

I started this project in March, and picking it up occasionally to work on. Here are some pictures of progress as I've continued it.
Progress photo one
Progress Photo two
Progress Photo three
I plan to have a knot work border around the Peryton and then the whole thing will hopefully go onto a belt pouch. I'll make another post with more progress photos when I finish the Peryton and likely another when I finish the knot work border.

You can now see the finished Peryton and another progress shot here in Part Two.

No comments:

Post a Comment