Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Naturally Dyed Silks

100% Silk embroidery thread- bare and ready to dye!
Source
This summer I've been doing a huge amount of natural dyeing, all in preparation for a historical arts and sciences entry into a competition called the Queen's Pick Tournament. Basically it's for people who- like me- want to make an entry, aren't too sure of the complete historical accuracy of their project or haven't entered into an arts and science competition before. As I fit both these requirements and wanted a fun new project I decided to do natural dyeing of silk embroidery threads and then use them to make a semi-historical design. This post will cover the dyed threads and another (likely in a few months once I'm finished) will cover the embroidered piece. 

I purchased my de-gummed silk from a Chinese company called Suzhou Embroidery through Etsy. The picture at the top is of the silk I bought. It was well packaged and was easy to work with despite being really fine because each skein was already divided into 20 smaller skeins and I took the time to place six figure-eight knotted strings through each small skein so it wouldn't tangle.


Across the top row from left to right: The variegated lavender is light Indigo over-dyed with Madder.
The coral pink is Madder lightly dyed. The golden-yellow is goldenrod. The copper is yellow onion skins.
On the bottom is from left to right: Phragmites tops when they reached full redness, with a couple pieces of copper pipe for a medium-dark green. Next to it is the blue-green that is light indigo over-dyed with the same phragmites and copper dye.

From Left to Right: Varigated moss is purple basil leaves with a baking soda rinse. Black-eyed susan followers for a chartreuse  green. Sea-foam is Dyer's Chamomile over-dyed with light Indigo. Teal is also Dyer's Chamomile over-dyed with medium Indigo. Next is dark blue with multiple dips of Indigo, followed by a medium blue from Indigo also.

From Left to Right: More Indigo slightly lighter in shade, and again in the lightest concentration. The grey and navy variegated silk is from black beans. Next is a greyed purple from Logwood chips with steel/iron in the pot. Then charcoal an exhaust of the same Logwood chips and steel and the medium grey the final exhaust of Logwood chips and steel. Finally is greyed-lilac from purple basil leaves with a vinegar rinse.

From Left to Right: Burgundy from Madder with a baking soda rinse, followed by an Indigo over-dye. Then a dark concentration of Madder with a baking soda rinse for a crimson. Next is Madder exhausted once from the previous also rinsed in baking soda. The middle shade is Madder in pH neutral rinsed water. Next is Madder rinsed with vinegar creating a burnt-orange. Then Dyer's Chamomile over-dyed with Madder for a tangerine shade. Cutch is on the end for a tan shade.

Lastly again from Left to Right: Mullein leaves for a butter yellow shade, Dyer's chamomile for an almost cream yellow, Tiger Lily flowers for a cream shade, Greyed-pink from Rose of Sharon flowers, and finally a brown-pink from plum leaves and fruit skin.

Overall I'm really pleased with what I've accomplished, and I plan to do a few more shades though not for the project but rather in the future. I have some lichen I want to try as well as walnut hulls and avocado skins and pits. There is quite a range of natural colours out there and it's fun to see what plants can give you.

1 comment:

  1. I'm someone who has lived a life seemingly in the background, I must say this final indignity I have suffered almost too much to endure. You see, I have been sickly and weak since the day I was born and doomed to go through my life weakling. I seemed to have always suffered from one illness or another and could never play with the other children as I so desperately wanted to. Mother always made such a big fuss over me, also, making the situation worse as the other boys teased me mercilessly after they saw it. I was browsing  the internet searching on how I could be transformed into a powerful person when I came across the email of a man named Lord Mark. who was a VAMPIRE so I told him that I has always dreamed of becoming a  VAMPIRES, All i did was just to follow the procedure that i was been told, and i bet you that procedure I took change my entire life to something i ever desire, freedom, sickness free, pains free, fame, influence, connections and even more that i can. Thanks to Lord Mark. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete